There are many definitions of leadership. I have my own, which I created as a leader in business for over 4 decades. My definition will tie directly into the Heart-repreneur® philosophy. I define leadership as moving people to follow a leader toward a mutually beneficial goal.
There are organizations that truly live leadership and meet my definition of the word.
First, let’s look at Amazon’s leadership principles -
Invent and Simplify
Are Right, A Lot
Learn and Be Curious
Hire and Develop the Best
Insist on the Highest Standards
Bias for Action
Have Backbone; Disagree and Commit
Based on Amazon’s principles and other companies that I resonate with, I developed these principles for my own business which you can modify for your business.
Heart-repreneur® Leadership Principles
These are the principles of how to do business as a Heart-repreneur®:
- A leader is a colleague
- A leader mobilizes others toward a goal shared by the leader and their followers
- You are a leader if people want to follow you
- Leaders use cooperation
- Leaders use collectivism
- Leaders are inclusionary
- Leaders are open communicators
- Leadership is built on trust
- Leaders deal with direction
- Leaders deal with vision and keep the mission in sight
- Leaders motivate people to work
- Leaders foster mutual respect and build a complementary team
- Leaders share responsibility
- Leaders have a clear focus that is understood
- Leaders select team members that are gifted in needed areas
- Leaders provide learning opportunities
- Leaders encourage risk taking
- Leaders see failures as a refining process
- Leaders are flexible
- Leaders delegate
- Leaders always embody authenticity, transparency, and integrity
- Leaders always communicate with team members
- Leaders promote a team mentality
- Leaders are continuous learners
- Leaders are enthusiastic
- Leaders exercise physically, emotionally, spiritually and mentally
What can you take from Amazon and from me to develop your own leadership principles?
Terri Levine is the founder of www.Heartrepreneur.com, author of 30 books on sales, marketing, business and coaching and mentor to some of the most successful business owners, featured in The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Fortune, Redbook, Shape, Self, advisor to General Electric, seen on ABC, NBC, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, and host of her own TV and radio show. She provides all readers with a free gift to get a ton of qualified leads coming right to them at www.gethotpayingclients.com.