If you’re about to enter the professional world or if you have been in the market for some time and have not yet consolidated your personal brand, it is time to do it. Personal branding has many more benefits than you think that just having a website, logo, brand colors, etc. and if you do well, you can open various opportunities in the world of business. If you’re still unsure what I'm talking about, let me explain why personal branding matters and why you should build yours now.
What is a Personal Brand?
To understand the importance of a personal brand, you must first know the concept, of course.
A personal brand is essentially who you are and everything you are from how you dress, how you present yourself to the world, and even the language you use. It also creates that unique and identifiable brand for your business. Developing a personal brand consists of identifying and communicating the characteristics that make us stand out, be relevant, unique and visible in the marketplace.
Consider the following that a personal brand must have -
- A defined and consistent communication tone. Consistency is key to maintaining your personal brand, and this must be reflected in the way you express yourself and communicate your ideas. Express your message clearly and concisely.
- Defined objectives. Every brand has a goal to achieve, and you are no exception. Clarify your goals, then set incremental goals broken down in quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily and work to achieve them. I often say, schedule your success!
- An offer. As a brand, having an offer of value from your product or service that can serve a lot of people and your perfect customers is key in succeeding.
- Originality. In such a crowded market, it’s necessary for your brand to stand out from the rest. So, think of one great thing you’re really great at, then build your brand around that! In other words, focus on your superpower.
Personal branding is the development and management of your brand, which must be developed and disseminated so that it’s recognizable in your professional environment. Within the business world, personal branding is everything you do to achieve the success of your brand. And that success depends on how good the chosen strategy is. But why is personal branding so important?
Importance of Personal Branding
When you go to the store to buy a new product and you see different brands at your disposal, you will most likely look for the one you think is best based on presentation, size, appearance and the benefits it offers. This is the same way companies work when hiring business professionals and even staff members. So, the better the foundation and how your personal brand shows, the more opportunities you’ll have.
Let’s take a lot at some of the benefits of improving your brand –
- You learn more about yourself. To create your personal brand, it’s necessary to study yourself, get to know yourself, learn your weaknesses and strengths, as well as everything you have to offer. Personal branding is not only professional growth, you also grow as a person by devoting all your attention and time to develop yourself and succeed. Before you start, you should ask yourself different questions, set yourself objectives, goals and a whole series of plans to follow in order to stay on course in the right direction.
- You get recognition and prestige. Personal branding helps you move in different professional circles, both in person and in the digital world. Having a strongly created identity, offer, and brand message distinguishes you from the competition, thus, establishing you as an expert in your niche.
- You get more and better job offers. Even if you’re not an entrepreneur, one of the main benefits of building your personal brand is the possibility to gain various job opportunities. Companies carefully review the profiles of their potential employees, and by having a strongly created and positioned personal brand, you have an advantage over others.
- Increase your contacts. Working to improve your personal branding requires you to make use of business networking, which will undoubtedly bring you many available contacts. It can also lead to finding customers and other professionals. More contacts can translate into more job offers and/or potential customers.
- Increase the confidence in you and the number of clients. The more professional you look, the more they’ll trust you, and by this, I don't mean just being well dressed or wearing jewelry but also your way of expressing yourself in speaking and writing. The more attractive and focused your personal branding is, the more customers you will attract.
- Online presence. These days, professional growth depends on social networks and online marketing strategy. Social sites such as Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, or even blogs and websites offer you an enormous advantage, as they are referents of professionalism. If you create a complete profile on LinkedIn, not only do you increase your online visibility, you also get the opportunity to be seen and connect with various companies and business professionals.
Considering all the benefits mentioned above, it’s not surprising that many people are creating and developing their personal brand. It’s also important to be consistent and to stay focused on one superpower that you’re great at doing and build your brand around that.
Patience and Perseverance to Consolidate Your Image
The process of creation, development, and consolidation of your personal brand is not something that is achieved in two days. It’s necessary to be patient and to persevere to find the perfect marketing strategy for you. Becoming a recognizable brand and becoming an expert in your niche or field takes time to build. It doesn’t happen overnight. But don't worry, every minute of time invested in your brand will be worth it in the form of opportunities.
The professional world is competitive. Many entrepreneurs are trying to consolidate their personal brand at the same time as you are. So, remember to stay true to who you are and to the people that you serve. Originality is always rewarded, and the professional world is no exception. If you still don't have your personal brand defined, now is a great time to get started!
Ires Alliston is an award-winning business professional, and the Global Branding Coach and Mentor for highly motivated speakers, visionary experts, and entrepreneurs who are ready to unlock their genius, launch their business and accelerate their personal brand. She’s been featured on Speakers Magazine and also created signature programs like “Fast Track Your Brand,” “Global Branding for Bosses Academy” and “Branding in Minutes.” She helps clients and students get featured on affiliated media sites like ABC, CBS, NBC, Digital Journal, and Medium with articles. Many of her clients have become industry leaders and coaches due to launching their coaching and training programs. They continue to gain followers and clients. Ires is also the recipient of the “Business of the Year Award” and “Builder Award” celebrating and supporting entrepreneurs, business professionals, and community leaders and their achievements. She continues to help and inspire others worldwide to take actions on their dreams, consistently.